The Basic Mountaineering Course is the foundation course aimed at systematically teaching the art and craft of mountaineering. The course involves extensive trekking opportunities but it is not a trekking package per se. Here the focus is to teach the intricacies of mountaineering through lectures, demonstrations and practice in high altitude locations. The deliverables or takeaways from the BMC are entirely different from the various recreational trekking packages available online. Without compromising with the outdoor fun element, the emphasis here is on transforming the participants into responsible explorers. The BMC is an excellent outdoor learning opportunity for the youth in India.
The entire course is conducted under the direct supervision of ex instructors from the Indian Army’s High Altitude Warfare School (HAWS) at Gulmurg, ITBP’s Institute of Mountaineering and Skiing at Auli and seasoned mountaineers and guest instructors at the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The 13 days course is a unique opportunity to learn and spend time with some of the famous mountaineers from India including Everesters. Check instructors profiles Nanda Devi Institute of Adventure Sports and Outdoor Education is the first private institute duly certified by the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering.
- To introduce the participants to the Himalayas from holistic perspective, its formation, geography, history, livelihood patterns, diversity, flora & fauna, ecological contribution and destination value.
- To systematically impart training in the area of basic mountaineering skills with focus on life saving and survival skills.
- To inculcate leadership qualities and expedition behavior by actively involving participants in the outdoor management.
- To provide experiential and formal learning opportunities during treks in the high altitude Himalayan meadows.
- Systematic exposure to high altitude Himalayan environment for acclimatization and increasing resistance to cold, hunger and fatigue.
- Inculcate conservation and sustainable lifestyle ethics.
- NDI Base Camp at Kuflon: 11 Km upstream from Uttarkashi in Assi Ganga Valley. Alt. 4900 Ft. Accessible by motorable road.
- Golinda/Jangara locations in Assi Ganga: 2 Kms from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon. Alt. 4700-5000 ft.
- Shiladuni: 6 Kms from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon. Accessible by trek. Alt. 6400 ft.
- Kohri: 10 Kms from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon and 4 Kms from Shiladuni. Accessible by trek. Alt. 7800 ft.
- Chai Thatter: 16 Kms from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon and 6 Kms from Kohri. Accessible by trek. Alt. 9500 ft.
- Mudga Top: 20 Kms from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon and 4 Kms from Chai Thatter. Accessible by trek. Alt. 11400 ft.
- Tekhla: With due permission from NIM and based on availability. As an alternate training location. 3.5 Km from NDI Base Camp at Kuflon. Alt. 4200 ft.
Duration: 13 days
Course Strength: 16-32 participants
Instructor-Trainee ratio: 1:8
Stay Arrangements: In Arctic Tents
Rs.18,900/- per person
Click on the batch to Register.
Basic Mountaineering Course 23 Mar to 05 Apr ’19₹18,900.00 Register
Basic Mountaineering Course 06 Apr to 19 Apr ’19₹18,900.00 Register
Basic Mountaineering Course 20 Apr to 03 May ’19₹18,900.00 Register
Basic Mountaineering Course 04 May to 17 May ’19₹18,900.00 Register
Basic Mountaineering Course 18 May to 31 May ’19₹18,900.00 Register
Basic Mountaineering Course 01 June to 14 June ’19₹18,900.00 Register
How to Reach
The basic mountaineering course will be conducted at Kuflon near Uttarkashi. The nearest railway station and airport is at Dehradun. From Dehradun buses and shared Sumo jeeps are available till Uttarkashi. Participants can make their own travel arrangements till Uttarkashi reporting center from where transport arrangements will be made for the NDI Campus in Assi Ganga Valley. Special pick up arrangements can also be made from Dehradun on payment of actual fare. Do write to us in case of any assistance.