The Basic Mountaineering Course is the foundation course aimed at systematically teaching the art and craft of mountaineering. The course involves extensive trekking opportunities but it is not a trekking package per se. Here the focus is to teach the intricacies of mountaineering through lectures, demonstrations and practice in high altitude locations. The deliverables or takeaways from the BMC are entirely different from the various recreational trekking packages available online. Without compromising with the outdoor fun element, the emphasis here is on transforming the participants into responsible explorers. The BMC is an excellent outdoor learning opportunity for the youth in India.
The entire course is conducted under the direct supervision of ex instructors from the Indian Army’s High Altitude Warfare School (HAWS) at Gulmurg, ITBP’s Institute of Mountaineering and Skiing at Auli and seasoned mountaineers and guest instructors at the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The 13 days course is a unique opportunity to learn and spend time with some of the famous mountaineers from India including Everesters. Check instructors profiles Nanda Devi Institute of Adventure Sports and Outdoor Education is the first private institute duly certified by the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering.
- To systematically impart training in the area of basic mountaineering skills with focus on life saving and survival skills.
- To inculcate leadership qualities and expedition behavior by actively involving participants in the outdoor management.
- To provide experiential and formal learning opportunities during treks in the high altitude Himalayan meadows.
- Systematic exposure to high altitude Himalayan environment for acclimatization and increasing resistance to cold, hunger and fatigue.
- Inculcate conservation and sustainable lifestyle ethics.
Multiple locations in Assi Ganga valley near the NDI base camp with a 5-6 days endurance trek to 11000 ft. plus altitude.
- A strong desire to learn the skills and the willingness to learn from younger instructors.
- A thorough pre-training medical check-up and a certificate of physical fitness from a registered medical practitioner certifying the participant as physically fit to undergo such training and physically fit to gain altitude of 3500 meters above msl.
- During endurance trek, participants can leave the extra baggage at NDI base camp. It is advised to pack light as the participants are supposed to carry their baggage from road head to NDI base, a short but steep walk of 200 meters.
- The participants will be responsible for taking care of their valuable items.
How to Apply
- Read the Terms and Conditions for admission in the courses offered by the Nanda Devi Institute. Do check the cancellation policy before proceeding.
- Based on your availability, select the course dates suitable to you. Do check the travel logistics simultaneously for booking of train/air tickets. It’s better to first confirm your travel logistics first.
- Download the application and indemnity form. Read carefully the terms and conditions. If you agree with the terms and conditions proceed to pay the course fee online. The hard copies of the downloaded admission and indemnity form needs to be submitted at the time for reporting for the course.
Duration: 13 days
Course Strength: 16-32 participants
Instructor-Trainee ratio: 1:8
Stay Arrangements: In Arctic Tents
Rs.18,900/- per person
(inclusive of GST)
Click on the batch to Register.
How to Reach
The basic mountaineering course will be conducted at Kuflon near Uttarkashi. The nearest railway station and airport is at Dehradun. From Dehradun buses and shared Sumo jeeps are available till Uttarkashi. Participants can make their own travel arrangements till Uttarkashi reporting center from where transport arrangements will be made for the NDI Campus in Assi Ganga Valley. Special pick up arrangements can also be made from Dehradun on payment of actual fare. Do write to us in case of any assistance.
Equipment and Clothing
- Personal toiletries.
- Personal medicine kit.
- Trek suit
- Thermals one set
- Undergarments (4 set)
- Socks cotton/woolen ( 4 pairs)
- Warm shirt/trouser/cotton shirt
- Wind cheater 1
- Light rain coat 1
- Light cap and woolen cap (1 each)
- woolen gloves (1 pair)
- Torch/head lamp (1)
- Trekking shoes
- Notebook with pen
- Dark googles
- Water bottle
- Sun screen (SPF 40 and above)